The start of a new year is always a good time to reflect on how we performed as a company, our successes, and where we can do better. As we look back on 2017, I couldn’t be prouder of the team’s accomplishments in working to understand our customers’ risks; build technology, products, and solutions to address those risks; and deliver meaningful Business Risk Intelligence (BRI) that enables our customers to mitigate threats across their enterprise.
With clients now across 22 verticals and closing the year with our eighth consecutive quarter exceeding our bookings target, it’s clear that BRI is resonating strongly in the market and appealing to both sophisticated and less mature teams globally. Even in our success, we always look at ourselves critically and take our customers’ gracious and valuable feedback to heart. Our team’s zeal to improve is what makes us the market leader in BRI and sparked the fantastic achievements, accomplishments, and milestones we had in 2017.
The year marked big technological leaps in our Flashpoint Intelligence Platform, API integrations, and data-gathering capabilities that enable our customers to receive even more relevant intelligence and data to support diverse teams in mitigating their risk. We’re fortunate to have brought on two fiercely talented engineering and product leaders, our VP of Engineering Ben Donohue and our VP of Product Andrew Dilling, to help guide our investment in technology to help address customers’ challenges in the best way possible.
Working in concert with that technology is our industry-leading team of subject matter experts who possess unique knowledge and understanding of how actors leverage the internet in ways that create threats and risk to our customers, from credit card and financial fraud to insider threats and terrorism. Because our team is at the forefront of threat research, we’ve again had the opportunity to be thought leaders in the intelligence and security communities throughout 2017.
All these achievements, coupled with a world-class, cohesive team dedicated to delivering the most valuable BRI to our customers, have set Flashpoint up for another incredible year. We will continue to transform the way intelligence is applied across the enterprise and be the global resource that organizations turn to when they need the absolute best in addressing business risk.
A few highlights:
Growth: The close of our $28 million Series C round of funding in July was a transformational milestone. Led by new investors Georgian Partners and joined by existing investors Greycroft Partners, TechOperators, Leaders Fund, Jump Capital, Bloomberg Beta, and Cisco Investments, this latest round of funding truly solidified BRI as a requirement across the enterprise. In addition to positioning us to better support our customers in addressing an even wider array of BRI use cases, our Series C builds upon our successful expansion into EMEA and Asia Pacific earlier in 2017, further accelerating the global adoption of BRI.
Talent: The extent to which Flashpoint can grow and innovate in support of our customers and our mission has always depended on the expertise and commitment of our people. Attracting the right talent across every department has been one of our biggest priorities during the last 12 months. Fortunately, I’m humbled to have been able to welcome the following talented individuals to our executive team in 2017:
• Andrew Dilling, VP Product, leads product management at Flashpoint and is the newest addition to our leadership team. His expertise and experience developing industry-leading B2B SaaS products across numerous verticals are invaluable assets as he continues to drive Flashpoint’s overall product strategy and roadmap.
• Ben Donohue, VP Engineering, leads Flashpoint’s engineering team. His expertise and leadership have been crucial not only in supporting the Flashpoint Intelligence Platform and Flashpoint API, but also in positioning Flashpoint as a technology leader and innovator.
• Lisa Iadanza, Chief People Officer, leads all functional areas of People Operations at Flashpoint, including human resources, talent acquisition and management, employee engagement, and developing high-performance teams. Since she joined us this past June, Lisa has played an integral role in driving strategic growth and fostering Flashpoint’s culture and mission.
Proven Application of BRI: It is especially meaningful during a year of countless complex challenges facing organizations across all sectors that Flashpoint was able provide such immense support to our community. Not only does the external validation our efforts received further solidify the critical role and capabilities of BRI, it reinforces the unmatched expertise and commitment of our people. I’m extremely gratified to congratulate the Flashpoint team for their roles in the following initiatives in 2017:
• Fostering trusted collaboration to alleviate uncertainties, address risk: FPCollab has grown to support a trusted and uniquely diverse network of professionals by fostering timely collaboration and information sharing among members of the Flashpoint community. In 2017, FPCollab members addressed challenges and uncertainties, developed numerous use cases, and helped each other make more effective decisions around risk.
• Serving as role models for budding security experts: Chief Marketing Officer Jennifer Leggio, Director of Security Research Allison Nixon, and Director of Counterterrorism Alex Kassirer were recognized for their achievements as “Amazing Women in Security” by CSO Online.
• Combatting Cybercrime: Director of Research Vitali Kremez earned SC Magazine’s “Threat Seeker” award for his work investigating emerging cybercrime threats.
• Expanding BRI’s global footprint with partnership programs: Our introduction of the Strategic Partner Network and Global Channel Program was a turning point for the company. By building upon the already robust group of partners that have chosen our human-powered analysis and sophisticated technology to help their customers mitigate risk, these new programs will continue to support our global growth and vision for BRI.
• Neutralizing the WireX botnet: Director of Security Research Allison Nixon, Research Developer Zach Wikholm, and security researchers from other leading organizations received widespread commendation for their collaborative effort that halted a DDoS attack and neutralized the WireX botnet.
• Providing exceptional support to the retail industry: It was an honor for Flashpoint to be named “Associate Company of the Year” by the Retail Cyber Intelligence Sharing Center (R-CISC). This peer-nominated award is a testament to our team’s valuable intelligence, thought leadership, and industry-leading customer support.
• Partnering with Facebook to combat terrorism online: We were honored that Facebook chose to partner with Flashpoint, along with other expert counterterrorism and cyber intelligence organizations, to combat the spread of jihadist propaganda online.
• Supporting law enforcement during a crucial investigation: We were extremely proud to have supported law enforcement during their investigation of the Mirai botnet.
With what was a truly momentous 2017 now behind us, I must emphasize how grateful I am for our talented and dedicated Flashpoint team, our loyal customers who truly believe in the vision and benefits of BRI, and our partners who choose to build and grow with us. Thank you for your unwavering support, teamwork, and commitment, and I wish you all a happy and healthy 2018!